I started my music course this week and had to play a song from memory. I struggled to recall the chord progression without my safety net. Any advice on how to improve this please?
- Practice with the notation/notes/etc. Obviously you have to learn it somehow.
- Practice parts of the song without the notation (don’t even have it in sight for this).
- When you can play a part three times in a row without notation, you did well for the day.
- Repeat without ever looking at the notation the next day. Your goal is to play from memory at least three times in a row again.
- The day after that you’ll try it again. The goal is three times a day for three days without ever looking at your notes.
- If you want to remember it long-term, I suggest continuing to play it a couple times per week from memory.
- You can use this method with different parts of songs. Verse, Chorus, intro, etc. Don’t forget to play the whole song together with this method after learning all the parts.
- If you struggle with a section, slow it down. If you struggle with a part, it will distract you from your goal of memorizing. If anything skip that measure or hard part and continue with the rest of the song.
- Use a metronome to keep your time. Your mind will remember the general timing of the song even if you skip hard parts.